Estimated cooking time: 40 minutes
Chicken Curry Ingredients:
1 Kilo chicken cut to pieces
2 to 3 pieces of potatoes, quartered
2 to 3 pieces of carrots, cut to pieces
1 big red bell pepper cut into 1"x1" squares
1 big green bell pepper cut into 1"x1" squares
2 mid-sized onions, chopped
1 bulb of garlic, minced
1 thumb-sized ginger, pounded then sliced
2 cups coconut milk
2 to 3 tablespoons of curry powder
1 teaspoon chili powder or minced chili (optional)
4 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Chicken Curry Cooking Instructions:
- In frying pan or wok, fry the cut chicken until light brown. Next, fry potatoes and carrots, set aside.
- In a sauce pan, sauté garlic, onions and ginger in cooking oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, coconut milk, curry powder and chili powder. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add red and green bell pepper, salt (about 1 tablespoon) and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Cooking Notes:
- Coconut milk may be canned from the grocery store. When using fresh coconut, milk grated coconut meat with 1/2 cup of water, then set aside. Again, milk the grated coconut milk for the second time using 1 1/2 cups of water. While cooking, use the 2nd milking first, then add the 1st coconut milk near then end of cooking -just after putting the potatoes and carrots.
- Use fish sauce (patis) instead salt when available.